Monday 3 February 2014

Of Jalopies and Road Rage

So I'm in a matatu from Parklands to town via Pangani and the driver, seemingly suicidal, pulls several clearly wreckless stunts between 2nd avenue and Ngara. . .Upon joining the superhighway towards Pangani, he starts swerving and nearly misses several other vehicles. I get pissed off and shout at him unkindly ordering him to stop risking our lives and to drive properly or else leave that to me.

Sema mwanamme kupark gari katikati ya super highway na kusema niichukue niendeshe! Ndio huyo mimi nimetoka huko karibu back seat nimeenda kuchukua usukani. Now everyone else in the matatu is on fire! Sema watu kulima dereva war! The driver whose issues are clearly visible starts crying. Other vehicles are slowing down to witness as the drama unfolds.

The conductor takes the wheel and parks the matatu at the Oil Libya petrol station at Pangani, returns our fares in full the fares in full then jumps back into the vehicle and speeds off! And then it hits me,
I ACTUALLY INTENDED TO DRIVE THAT THING TO TOWN.

I'm still alive and kicking, in one fully functional piece, typing it all away on my way home to the diaspora that is commonly referred to as Rongai! Silence Kills!

No comments:

Post a Comment